Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What does it say about our society, the need for things has replace the need to be thankful. Stores now open at midnight, or never close at all, on Thanksgiving.
What happened to reflecting on the reason we have the privilege of having things.
We have forgotten that giving thanks for the blessings we enjoy freely. Maybe it seems archaic, but have we forgotten?
As a superstore cashier I see 'things without gratitude' all the time. Now, on the day of our Thankgiving, I will be having to plan my day around being at work at midnight. Instead of enjoying the evening with some leftover turkey, pumpkin pie and family.....well, it's all so that the public can get more things.
Why the day after Thanksgiving? The next step is going to be that stores won't even close for Thanksgiving. All to buy 'things without gratitude' for Christmas, which by the way, is a holiday that has nothing to do with havings things anyway. Now, I'm not against the Christmas present. They're fun to give and to get. I'm just saying that something is out of whack. We've lost sight of what it's really all about.
So, I will try to figure out how to clean the house, cook the turkey and trimmings, set a nice table, clean it all up, spend some time with the family, get the leftovers out, and put away again, all before I work an eight hour shift ringing up 'things without gratitude' for all those people who will spend more than they should on things they'll just end up returning anyway. 
And, I'm pretty sure they won't be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment